Q&A with the ASB candidates for president

Noemi Alvarado and Katelyn Chacon

The candidates running for the position of ASB president are Noemi Alvarado and Katelyn Chacon (in alphabetical order). Noemi is a member of the National Honors Society, MESA, Girls Who Code, Science Bowl, Roots and Shoots club, and volunteers in various places. Katelyn is a member of the National Honors Society, MESA, and girls soccer.

Q: Why did you decide to run for this position?

Noemi: I decided to run for ASB president because I would love the opportunity to serve our student body and improve school culture by helping to nurture strong relationships between the upper and lower classmen. I would also love to bring my experiences to help my fellow Wolfpack thrive, whether it be in a virtual or in-person setting. My goal is to expand the opportunities at MaCES for all students by creating an even more diverse and inclusive environment, and I want to make the absolute most of the time we have left and enhance everyone’s high school experience. I hope to make the upcoming school year the best year for all MaCES students.

Katelyn: I decided to run for the position of ASB president because of my inability to not involve myself. I’ve always loved doing things like this and having the chance to do something for my school and the students in it makes me happy and excited for what can be done.

Q: What do you hope to bring or to change for the 2021-2022 school year?

Noemi: For the 2021-2022 school year, I hope to create an impact and bring about change. I want to empower the student body and help them reach their full potential. It’s essential that we grow alongside each other and push each other to do our very best every single day. I also want to focus on bringing more participation to our school clubs and leadership events.

Katelyn: I hope that for the 2021-2022 school year I am able to change campus life and make it a place where people can be comfortable and enjoy learning. With the pandemic affecting students mentally and physically, I hope we can help them reconnect with one another and even help them create new bonds.

Q: What are the plans and goals you have for the next school year?

Noemi: I plan to work alongside the other ASB board members to create events that the whole school can enjoy. I also plan to promote positivity, create a safer learning environment, and promote unity within our student body by creating events that will allow everyone to come together. My ultimate goal is to make a difference. I intend to do this by growing the possibilities at MaCES for all students by building an even more diverse and inclusive environment and making it a memorable school year for everyone.

Katelyn: For the next school year, my goals focus on the presence of college culture and mental health awareness for all students. I feel like many students don’t know where to go for help for both matters and I want to be able to give them the resources to find it.

Q: What do you think makes you a strong candidate?

Noemi: This school year, I’m a part of the leadership class, and I work alongside ASB and other leadership students to organize school events, therefore, I understand what is involved with this leadership role. During my time in the leadership class, I have learned so much from the current ASB board members. I will skillfully apply the knowledge they have given me throughout the next school year. I believe that not only my experiences make me a strong candidate but my hardworking, determined, and resilient character. I’m always willing to go beyond, no matter the circumstances. Please rest assured that I will always act responsibly and take everything seriously. Finally, I believe I’m a strong candidate because I understand that being a leader means leading by demonstrating the right way to do things. I also think that we should showcase our actions to help inspire others to do the same. I want to lead others with compassion instead of authority.

Katelyn: I think what makes me a strong candidate is my outspokenness and my willingness to help others. At times I know I can be overly ambitious about things and act energetic, but I feel like these qualities are what’s going to help get things done, and most definitely benefit the student body.

Q: Why should people vote for you?

Noemi: I sincerely care and have a genuine love for MaCES, and I’m determined to do everything that I can to support the student body. A vote for me is a vote for your voice to be heard! Being a part of leadership and helping out, I have enjoyed every single step of the way. It gives me a sense of joy and fulfillment that I have contributed to my school and your enjoyment. Please allow me the opportunity to continue to help you. May we lead together and make the next school year your most memorable year at MaCES. Let’s do our best!

Katelyn: People should vote for me because my priorities in office will revolve around them. I understand that I am running for a position of leadership, but my intentions are to let student’s voices be heard more than my own, so in a way, I’ll work for them. Voting for me for ASB President is a chance for them to change things the way they want to.