SAT to go Digital

Amy Chan

Yonatzin Zarate, a junior who is the assistant news editor for the Wolfpack Times, practices for the SAT.

During the past years SAT has been taken in various schools. The exam has been taken the old fashioned way: paper and pencil. In modern times, everything seems to be going digital and so will the SAT. There will be quite the changes for how testing will be and certain components that will be staying the same.

According to the College Board, the exam will now be shorter. The test will now be approximately two hours instead of three hours. “The digital test will feature shorter reading passages with one question tied to each, and passages will reflect a wider range of topics that represent the works students read in college. Calculators will be allowed on the entire Math section,” according to the College Board. 

Another change there will be that scores will come out faster. No more needing to wait months or weeks. Scores would be ready in just a few days.  

The permanent transfer of the SAT going digitally in the U.S. will occur in the Spring of 2024.

Although there are quite a few changes, there are certain components that will be the same. “At the moment they probably can use chromebooks just similar to what they used when they took the AP exams in 2020 and 2021,” said Ms. Ostos. What would also stay the same would be the way students will study for the SAT. According to Ms.Ostos, Khan Academy will still be in use to be able to study. As in time for studying, students will always have to be mindful of their time management.

As the SAT goes digital we have to keep in mind how students will be able to adapt to its new format. “I believe students will be positively impacted with the SAT going digital. The SAT is one of those tests that many students stress over. Because our average day at school mainly consists of doing our work digitally, students will feel more comfortable doing the test online. I feel that many of us aren’t in the habit of working with paper and pencil for long periods of time anymore, so having access to the digital version will definitely be useful,” Juliana Martinez, a junior, said.

These new changes will affect students in a positive manner. Students at MACES won’t have conflicts with needing technology. According to Ms. Ostos, there are no issues with needing technology because all students have the one to one devices. For other conflicts, such as not being able to come to school on the day of the exam, “… for the SAT there’s usually lot of test days, so if they miss one they can take it another day,” Ms. Romero said.