Hearing Back from Georgetown University

Graphic by Wendy Caldera

IT’S THAT TIME OF THE YEAR – While some students are finalizing their college applications, others are beginning to hear back from colleges. I applied to Georgetown University under the Early Action program and heard back from them on December 13, 2020.

Wendy Caldera, Social Media Editor

When I submitted my application, I knew the release date would be December 15. Prior to the date, I would count down the days. Surprisingly on December 13, I received an email saying that the results were on the applicants portal. As I read the email, my heartbeat increased drastically. My hands trembled as I logged in and selected “View Update.” 

The only words that stood out were “I am sorry to inform you.” I immediately thought that I was rejected and that would be the last time I would hear from Georgetown. As I kept reading, I realized my application was deferred to regular decisions. There is still a possibility I can get accepted. I am receiving a second review of my application and will receive the final decision on or before April 1. 

My submission process for this institution began in a breakout room during college lab hours with Ms. Daisy, a MACES College Center Interm. We were reviewing my application to make sure everything was correct. Finally, I got the courage to click submit and now the real wait began. I had just applied for early action at Georgetown University. 

“I am sorry to inform you.

Georgetown University is a private research university located in Georgetown, a neighboring city of Washington D.C., with an acceptance rate of 15%.

Early action is a type of application that allows applicants to know their decision around December or January. However, the application is due much earlier compared to regular applications, usually around the end of November. 

I would highly encourage students to apply for early action or early decision. The student does have less time to complete the application; however, applicants know their admission status early, which can ease possible anxiety. Like with my case, there is still a possibility the applicant is admitted during the regular decision, even if they weren’t accepted the first time around.

Click here to learn more about the early decision and early action.