Q&A with the ASB candidates for vice-president

Itzia Corona, Melissa Gonzalez, and Lucia Langaney

The candidates running for the position of ASB vice-president are Itzia Corona, Melissa Gonzalez, and Lucia Langaney (in alphabetical order). Itzia is involved in sideline and competitive cheer and yearbook. Melissa is a member of the National Honors Society, MESA, Class of 2023 club, softball, and ASB. Lucia is a member of the National Honors Society, MESA, Interact club, girls volleyball, and Girls Who Code.

Q: Why did you decide to run for this position?

Itzia: I’ve always liked being involved with the school. I try to be involved with the school as much as I can. By being in leadership, students are able to make decisions that will benefit our school. That’s what I would like to do, to bring change that will benefit our school. 

Melissa: I decided to run for the position of ASB vice president because I believe next school year should be a memorable one, and I believe I can make it memorable with some of the ideas I have.

Lucia: I decided to run for the ASB vice president position because I saw it as an opportunity to help others. I often see students like me who feel underrepresented and wish for their voices to be heard. For whatever it may be, our students deserve to feel accepted and have their opinions valued. If they’d allow me to, I’d like to be that representative voice as Vice President in ASB.

Q: What do you hope to bring or to change for the 2021-2022 school year?

Itzia: I would like to bring more school spirit to MaCES. I would like to encourage others who usually don’t participate in school events to start participating in them. That is the biggest goal I have. 

Melissa: For the 2021-2022 school year, I hope to improve on events and activities with the feedback I’ve heard from my peers. I also hope to bring up some ideas I have for raising school spirit.

Lucia: If all goes well, the 2021-2022 school year will be a year of reunion.— a resume of where we left off in March, but with significant changes. We’ll return as almost strangers after the only interaction we’ve had for over a year… took place through the Zoom chat or in awkward breakout rooms. I hope to make the 2021-2022 school year a year where we can make up for lost time, where we can spend time together and build relationships and school spirit, simultaneously. 

Q: What are the plans and goals you have for the next school year?

Itzia: I hope to plan events that would bring more school spirit. I would like to plan events both in-person and social media events.

Melissa: My goal for the next school year is to make it memorable, especially since this will most likely be the year everyone will be going back to school. I think everyone wants to have a good and memorable year back at school.

Lucia: Next school year, we have to make up for lost time, resources, and opportunities. My plan is to expand our college preparation effort by holding workshops, career/college fairs, and offering resources to students who need help navigating the college process. During our time away from school and in isolation, I feel as though many students have lost their motivation to continue their education, or have lost track of the people they used to be. I believe our job as student representatives is to help students get back on track and motivate them to be their best selves, and this is what I intend to do.

Q: What do you think makes you a strong candidate?

Itzia: I’ve had experience with being in leadership and as well the ASB board. I’ve held leadership positions before. I think my leadership experience is important and makes me a strong candidate. 

Melissa: I believe what makes me a strong candidate for the position of ASB vice president is that I’ve been in leadership for the past three years, so I already know how we do our events and I can bring up ideas on how we can improve on them with the ideas and comments I’ve heard from my peers. I’m also currently the ASB secretary-treasurer so I already have a good understanding of the responsibilities of the vice president.

Lucia: I am a very dedicated person, which is a quality that I value most about myself. Once I set my mind on something, I have to accomplish it, or it will only fuel my desire further. I believe this is what makes me a strong candidate for ASB vice president. I will use my dedication to execute what is needed of me and what would benefit the student body as a whole.

Q: Why should people vote for you?

Itzia: I’ll make sure your voices are heard. Everyone’s ideas are important so it’s important for these ideas to be shared. If I get voted for the positions I am running for, I will make sure your ideas that benefit our school are heard.

Melissa: I believe people should vote for me because they can believe I am someone who will actually listen to any ideas or opinions they might have on activities or events we’ve had that we can improve on. I also have experience in leadership, so everyone can believe I know what it takes to take on the role of ASB vice president.

Lucia: I believe MaCES students should vote for me because I will truly try my best to not just meet, but also exceed the expectations listed for being an ASB officer. My goals are centered around the students’ priorities and needs and I am devoted to making sure these goals are met. But, I also don’t want to lose sight of making the year fun and memorable for all. With this, I already have so many ideas to make next year a great year and I hope I will be given the opportunity to do so.