Thoughts on Marvel’s ‘What If…?’ MACES Responds…

Illustration By Joshua Zuniga

Joshua Zuniga, Arts and Entertainment Editor

“Time. Space. Reality. It’s more than a linear path. It’s a prism of endless possibility, where a single choice can branch out into infinite realities, creating alternate worlds from the ones you know.” This is said by the narrator of the show, The Watcher. He makes the opening statements before the start of every episode. This show is all about the alternate realities that could’ve happened because of a minor detail change in the timeline of the Marvel Universe. But what do students and teachers at MACES think about such a show?

“It takes the looks from the comics and the Marvel Cinematic Universe and puts them into one. The animation, the fact that they took the actors from the movies, it’s incredible,” said Bryden Zuniga, a 15-year-old sophomore, who also happens to be a Marvel fanatic. “I’d give this show a strong 8/10. It’s a really good show and it won’t disappoint.”

What If…? has lots of twists and turns, but who would’ve guessed that even the ASB president has seen this show? “My brother influenced me to watch a lot of Marvel, because he is a big fan. Trying to guess the outcome is exciting as well. I always have high hopes for any Marvel produced item. It’s a very complex and detailed story. It’s a whole different world, but we’re so invested in it.” Katelyn Chacon, a senior, said.

Aiden Scholten, a MACES freshman caught up with the What If…? the series said, “It’s pretty good. There’s some obvious things they could fix; things that they could do better. The best part, in my opinion, is when they leave an episode on a cliffhanger. Even then, I’d have to give this show a 7/10.”

Ms. Spolidoro, a high school Latin teacher, however, has a completely different point of view on this show compared to the other students. “I don’t like the idea that they had with the second episode, Episode 2 is What If… T’Challa became a Starlord?. I compared the two stories of Peter Quill in the true Marvel timeline to T’Challa’s version of Starlord. Peter had to go through all these hardships while T’Challa had it all happy with no suffering. I also didn’t like the Dr. Strange episode either. Five minutes in and I’m gone.” However, when asked to rate the show, she said, “I don’t think it’s fair to rate the show when, all in all, this is just my opinion. Everyone has their own bread and butter. No rating from me.”

Marvel’s What If…? has nine episodes for season one and we are expecting another season in the works. This was confirmed by president of Marvel Studios, Kevin Feige. According to screenrant.com, “According to Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige, What If…?’s second season will include movies from Phase 4 of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.” These Phase 4 films that he mentioned include Eternals and Dr. Strange in the Multiverse of Madness with Eternals set to release in November 5th, 2021 and the new Dr. Strange film in 2022. There are no details for the film other than the fact that this will be Marvel’s first ever horror film, so be on the lookout for any trailers and teasers that may pop up in the near future.

These are the released episodes for season one:

• What If… Captain Carter were the First Avenger?
  • What If… T’Challa Became a Star-Lord?
  • What If… the World Lost Its Mightiest Heroes?
  • What If… Dr. Strange Lost His Heart Instead of His Hands?
  • What If… Zombies!?
  • What If… Killmonger Rescued Tony Stark?
  • What If… Thor was an Only Child?
  • What If… Ultron Won?
  • What If… The Watcher Broke His Oath?

These are the episodes released for season one. No more episodes are left for this season. “I am the Watcher. I am your guide through these vast new realities. Follow me and ponder the question, What If…?”